Sunday, May 16, 2010

Damn that Vigor


I have a confession. I do not know how to ride a bike. I know. I'm not sure what happened during my childhood, I guess I was busy with other things - mud pies in the backyard, making bolero jackets from scraps of leather for Barbie...

I vaguely recall a banana seated bicycle with its intimidating red paint and the 2 inch thick tires mocking me to balance on. I managed to ignore this childhood milestone. The only time I couldn't ignore my inability was during elementary school Sports Days when there was the bicycle parade. But in retrospect, I think I was more interested in the decorations, not the bicycle or cycling around. That part just seemed pointless. I envied the pink and white crepe paper and shiny steamers that were on the bikes more.

Before I knew it, the bicycle that mocked me had rusted into silence and was sent off to charity. And the pink and white crepe paper parades were over. And I turned 16. So I learned how to drive first.

In my adult life now, obviously I'm very much a driver and I like my car. I arrive at destinations on my terms and time schedule, and I can wear whatever I want. I like having that sense of control. No one tells me when I have to leave my house or else have to wait for another ride! No one! And if it's raining, I don't have to wear that dreaded Gortex.

Then I met Murray. He's outdoorsy and talks about nature and fresh air all the time. He's drags me up and down mountains and forces me to take deep breaths when we are in the woods. He likes to go for bike rides and swim in lakes. Don't ask me how we ended up together, but we are. And I'm grateful for him, taking me out of the mall and into the woods (sort of, sometimes). So for us to continue to enjoy a variety of activities together (riding our bikes to the mall perhaps?), it's about time I learn how to ride a damn bike. Now where does a grasshopper find a master?

My friend Nej is the most avid cyclist I know. She does not own a car, she often reaches vacation destinations by bicycle. I envy Nej. She has options. This past Winter, we started discussing bike riding lessons. It gave me enough emotional preparedness time to be ready for Spring and my first lesson - today. *gulp*

Master Nej thought of everything. She borrowed a bike and helmet (good friends don't let friends waste money), scouted out a location, prepared a lesson plan. I knew I was in good hands. It was my own lack of center of gravity that I was worried about!

We started with bike pedals removed and I was instructed to "ride" around pushing off the pavement with my feet. Master Nej kept shouting "Vigor!, Vigor! Pedal with vigor!" Damn that vigor - it was due to lack of leg muscles. I thought that was evident when we started. I think she was a little perplexed. How could someone be unable to push themselves around on a bike with no pedals? Um, right here, right now. C'est moi!

After a couple of hours of scuttling around, trying to find my balance, getting over my fear of speed, working on my vigor, Master Nej thought I was ready for pedals. Great, just when I figured out how not to fall off, she's adding things that stick out and I have to put my feet on without looking down.

When I finally figured it all out, I was...well, hard to explain how I felt. I could only perversely equate the feeling to having sex for the first time. You know, that moment when the deed is finally happening and you think “what the fuck is going on?” but you just keep going and it’s exhilarating and scary all at the same time. Er, maybe that's just how I felt.

After almost 5 hours, Master Nej declared that I could ride a bike. I wasn't as confident as she made it sound, but I was more than thrilled to accept her declaration. Murray and I can ride to the mall now.

Lesson learned today - I know how to ride a bike!