Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Billy, 38

Dear Tinder Diary:
Why do men promise things like throwing me up against a wall and doing all sorts and then don't call to meet for coffee like they said they will?

Mark, 46, recently separated, proposed such a wall throwing.  He was eager to get back in the game.  I didn't mind being part of that game.  Why the hell not.  But Mark stood me up.  Never to be heard of again.

You have a new match notification popped up when I got home from said stand-up.  (I purposely do not have the app installed on my phone.  I would never get any work done if I did. Duh.)

Billy was only in town for the night.  He was honest in telling me he was looking for a hook up.  But he wasn't having much luck.  I wasn't about to offer.  Our banter continued and he asked if I was interested in meeting up, for dinner and continued face-to-face conversation.  When one is stood up, one is very likely to agree to just about anything.

Driving to his hotel I became doubtful.  What. The. Fcuk.  It's Wednesday.  He's on a layover.  He was looking for a hook up.  Dinner and chatting is probably not really what he wants.  A wave of pathetic washed over me, I almost turned the car around.  Almost.

Dinner was fun, conversation flowed.  Billy says 'awesome' a lot.  He has a nice smile.  He's tall.  You weren't there, so you're just gonna have to take my word for it.  It wasn't what I feared.  It was getting late and I drove him back to his hotel.  I sheepishly sat in the corner of the room.  Why do hotels always put that useless weird armchair in the corner?  Doesn't everyone just end up sitting in bed to watch tv?

He came over and kissed me mid-sentence...

Not thinking I'd hear from him again (which was totally okay with me), we text almost everyday.  We met 4 months ago.
He comes to town sometimes, we've seen each other twice since that first match.  It's fun but it gets complicated...

Dear Tinder Diary:  I'm glad I got stood up.  Sometimes you need to experience that.  People have their reasons and it may have nothing to do with me.  Mark probably would have thrown his back out before throwing me up against any wall.

xx,
mh

No comments:

Post a Comment